Emergency crews called to Margate property fire

Kent Fire and Rescue Service

Two fire engines and the British red Cross have been in attendance following a blaze in Margate today (December 9).

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of the fire at a property in Laleham Walk at 11.13am. Firefighters arrived to smoke and fire coming from the first floor of the property.
The occupants were outside after being alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets and a main jet to tackle the blaze, which is believed to have started accidentally due to a candle.

Following the fire, crews are urging Kent residents to remember some simple safety tips when using candles in the home:

– Candles should be fitted in a candle holder, placed on a non-flammable surface
– Never leave them unattended when burning
– Ensure candles aren’t burning close to flammable items such as curtains, clothing or plants
– Extinguish all candles before leaving the room
– Ensure you have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home to alert you to a fire in the event of an emergency