Plans for stock car racing at Ebbsfleet Lane, off Sevenscore, have been rejected at appeal by the Planning Inspectorate.
Ovalsport Ltd made a change of use application in May to set up the venture at the Manston Raceway track for a maximum of 30 days a year. The site had previously been created as a go kart circuit.
In its submission the company said: “This track would not only be a new sporting facility but also a tourist attraction, providing employment and entertainment for residents and visitors.”
Vehicles proposed were up to a 2 litre cc engine and included Super Rods and Hot Rods as well as provision for junior racing.
There were also proposals for temporary toilets, commentator’s box, race office and entrance kiosk.
Ovalsport took the application to appeal when Thanet council failed to make a decision within the prescribed period of time.
The plans received a huge amount of comment submissions, both objections and in support. The appeal has now been dismissed and planning permission refused.
The judgement says the main reasons for this are:
- The proposed development would have a harmful effect on the character and appearance of the area
- The proposed development would not provide safe and satisfactory conditions for pedestrians to access the site directly.
- Not presented with substantive evidence that satisfies me that there would not be an unacceptable impact on highway safety.
- The proposed development would have a harmful effect on the living conditions of neighbouring occupiers with particular reference to noise
- Not satisfied that the proposed development would not have a harmful effect on groundwater.
Ovalsport Ltd intends to resubmit the raceway application with amendments.
In a statement on their facebook page the company says: “Unfortunately the decision was that the appeal has been dismissed and planning permission has been refused.
“Where does this leave us? In exactly the same place as we were six months ago with the same aim and goal. We now know exactly what needs to be changed and the correct information that is needed.
“Drivers, The Rules and Specifications have been amended and will be ready at the end of this week.”