The Margate Mad House scare maze at Westgate Pavilion has been given the green light to reopen following an inspection this afternoon (October 27).
The event was cancelled on Thursday -the expected launch night – after the building was suddenly shut down with the serving of a prohibition notice by Kent Fire and Rescue. A health and safety notice was also given by a Thanet council inspector.
Marketing manager Lee Williams, who created The Mad House with his family, wife Sonia and kids Charlotte, Jemma and Paige (pictured below), in 2016 and received a ScareCON award for the attraction,, said at the time he was baffled by the sudden shut down.
Mr Williams, who is the tenant, said there is a dispute currently ongoing with the new Westgate Pavilion owner – The Westgate Pavilion Local Project – which bought the site from Thanet District Council in June.
Westgate Pavilion Local Project chairman Nicholas Martine said he was unaware a notice had been served although he said concerns had been raised following a surveyor’s report of the building.
A spokesperson for Kent Fire and Rescue Service confirmed a notice had been served due to concerns over the maze construction and emergency routes and exits.
But the all-clear has now been given and the Mad House attraction is open tonight.
Mr Williams said tickets from Thursday and Friday are valid tonight and Sunday or a full refund can be given. He also thanked ticket-holders for their support.
The Mad House
The terrifying maze is based on the fictitious St Mildrith’s Waterfront Institution -nicknamed The Mad House – a cross between a hospital and a prison where doctors performed outrageous experiments.
Waterfront Studios has a long dark history. The 100 year old building was made famous for producing some of the best original horror films to ever be shown on the silver screen. However it has now become infamous for many murders and reports of people going missing.. All cases that have never been solved.. Whilst the film studios itself has been closed for many years now the building and its contents remains untouched..
However there have been reports of old employees taking members of the public for St St Mildrith’s Catholic Institution
St Mildreth’s is an old historic Catholic school that was closed down by the government many years ago after the children that attended (and lived) there all mysteriously died. The building has been derelict for nearly a decade now but reports have come in that Squatters have broken into the main building. There have been a security firm hired in to watch the building over night as preservation of the site is paramount as investigations into the mass homicide were never concluded. However investigations came to a halt when detectives claimed to have seen Nuns and children roaming the halls.. However none of them were able to speak in details about what they witnessed.. But the building needs protecting and someone has to do it
The mazes are open from 6.30pm to 10.30pm. Tickets are £15.