Utility room destroyed in Broadstairs fire


A utility room at a Broadstairs home has been destroyed in a fire today (May 4)

Fire crews were called to then property in Callis Court Road, Broadstairs, at 11.16am.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to tackle the fire in the utility room. A high pressure fan was used to clear the building of smoke. There were no reported injuries and the fire is believed to have started in a rechargeable floor polishing machine.

Crew Manager Gary Miller said: “The residents had just got back from walking their dog when the fire started. Smoke alarms alerted them to the fire, which prompted them to contain the flames by closing the utility room door – that’s the right thing to do, if it’s safe to do so. As soon as a fire is contained, it’s important to leave the building immediately to ensure your safety.”