Crews attend garage fire in Margate

Fire crews at the scene Photo Frank Leppard

A garage fire in Margate is believed to have started accidentally today (May 7) after a lithium-ion battery charger caught alight.

Three fire engines attended Broadley Road just before 5pm and crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to extinguish the flames.

A smoke curtain was also used to prevent the smoke from travelling into the main property.

No injuries were reported. Crews finished at the scene at 6.25pm.

6 Comments

  1. You are not allowed to say that or the green mafia will be after you! Just like the media did not report that the Luton Airport multi-storey carpark fire was caused by an electric car.

    • Interestingly, a hospital in Liverpool have banned electric cars from their car park due to safety concerns.

    • Not to mention the excessive weight of EVs, causing potholes and placing car parks etc under strain.

  2. Some time ago I noticed by chance, the battery charger for my Mobility Scooter gets very hot! I have changed it 2 times, but it still does this, so I place it inside a glass roasting dish when its on charge, and check regularly. I have concluded lithium ion batteries are a con! Until a couple of years ago I used a battery assisted bike, and over a period of 26 or more years, had to replace the battery at least a dozen times, at £300.00 a pop! Electric cars will have to do the same, depending on mileage, which means a second hand electric car may be close to needing to have a new battery after a few years. These seem to cost between £6,000 to £10,000 which will knock a big hole in the 2nd hand car market!

Comments are closed.