A mother who admitted killing her two young children has been sentenced to 10 years’ detention.
A judge at the Old Bailey ordered that Samantha Ford be detained in a secure hospital until such time as she is deemed fit to be moved to prison within that 10-year period.
Ford had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of her 23-month-old twins Jake and Chloe on the grounds of diminished responsibility at a previous hearing and was sentenced today (August 16).
Officers were called to a two-vehicle collision on the London-bound carriageway of the A299 Thanet Way in the early hours of Thursday, December 27, 2018 where they found Ford who had been driving one of the vehicles. She told them she had killed her children – a boy and a girl.
Ford directed officers to her home address in Castle Drive, Westwood, where they found the children. They were taken to a local hospital where they were declared deceased.
Ford was arrested on suspicion of murder and was treated at a local hospital for her injuries.
At a hearing at the Old Bailey on May 28, 2019 she pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility. On June 10, 2019 this plea was accepted.
Detective Chief Inspector Kaye Braybrook, from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “This incident is so very tragic. Nothing will replace the killing of two innocent children but I hope that now the court proceedings have concluded, it will help bring some closure and assist the family in coping with the grief that they continue to suffer.”
An NSPCC spokesperson said: “This is a tragic case in which two young toddlers sadly lost their lives in the care of someone trusted to protect them.
“We all have a duty to look out for the welfare of children. If anyone has any concerns about a child please call the NSPCC’s helpline, free and in confidence on 0808 800 5000.”