Chatham and Clarendon House School in Ramsgate has confirmed police and ‘bailiffs are expected to remove Travellers from a field it owns in Newington.
The school says action is expected this week with notice being served Wednesday and, if necessary, removal action taking place on Thursday after the group broke into the site at the rear of Newington primary without permission on July 7.
Complaints have been made of rubbish and faeces being thrown over the fence into the school play area and noise through the night from generators.
The incursion has cost the school £4,000 so far.
Business manager Chris Freeman said there would also be additional clear up costs once the group are moved on. As an academy the grammar is not funded by Kent County Council and has to take the cash from its limited budget.
The school is unable to serve the notice until Wednesday as some of the group travelled to Northern Ireland over the weekend for a wake and are due to return to the site on Tuesday.
Mr Freeman added: “There are 17 individual caravans but many owners have gone to County Down and left vehicles here. We can’t serve notice until they are all back as we need it to cover them all.”
An action plan is being developed by Thanet council to deal with the growing number of unauthorised Traveller encampments in the district.
A working group has been set up to investigate the issue and look at areas including Traveller accommodation, security measures and increased enforcement at high risk areas.
The news was revealed at a full council meeting on July 11 in response to a question from Dane Valley councillor Gary Taylor.
There were 55 unauthorised camps last year compared to just two in 2013. A report commissioned by Thanet council says the district should provide five Traveller pitches -to accommodate 10 caravans – in the five year period up to 2022 and then an additional two pitches – equating to four more caravans- by 2031.
There are currently no authorised pitches in Thanet district.
Make them pay for cleaning up after them, why should we pick up the tab..disgusting behaviour. Us decent folks wouldn’t get away with it. To soft and they no they can walk all over our council and Police.
Pitches are not wanted by the travellers who wish to just abuse wherever they set up at others expense. Private land is not in the action plan being talked about by the council, that just covers public land. The vehicles should have been clamped and towed away, then charge the owners to come and collect them. Also, the police should have been involved with charging the criminal side of breaking into the locked land.
Nice… I take my car and van anywhere in the country… Park for free, dump my rubbish, deficate on the floor….. can just see that being allowed! These people are rubbish. Time the the council and police to place hardball.