Man rescued by fire crews from smoke-logged flat in Ramsgate


Firefighters have rescued a man from a smoke-logged flat in Ramsgate tonight (July 4).

Crews were called to King Street just before 7.20pm to reports of smoke seen coming from the flat. Two fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the home and led a man outside to safety.

He was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by ambulance. Fortunately there was no fire, but the flat was heavily smoke logged due to cooking that had been left on.

Following this near miss, KFRS is urging people to keep looking while they’re cooking, and not to get distracted.

Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety, said: “Over half of all the fires we attend start in the kitchen and the majority are caused by unattended cooking, a build-up of grease and fat on the cooker, or by kitchen mishaps, where items such as tea towels, chopping boards or washing baskets have been left on the hob.”

Help prevent a kitchen fire in your home by following these tips:

• Keep an eye on your cooking and remember to switch off your cooker if you have to leave the room
• Use a timer for items placed in your oven or grill to remind when your food is done and to save it from burning
• Plan and prepare – if you know you have a busy week ahead, try and plan in advance and prepare meals that do not require lots of cooking
• Avoid storing or placing household items on your cooker or stove
• Keep your cooker, grill and oven clean to avoid a build-up of grease and fat that could start a fire
• Keep children and pets well away from your cooking area
• Ensure electric cookers, toasters and microwaves are turned off at the mains when you have finished using them
• Fit a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire.”