Part of Ramsgate High Street cordoned off due to ‘fire under the pavement’

The cordon in the High Street Photo Stefan Costen

Part of Ramsgate High Street was cordoned off this morning (January 27),  due to an electrical fire under the pavement.

Fire crews were called to the area close to Shoe Zone due to flames and smoke coming up from the pavement. Witnesses reported ‘explosions’ coming from under the ground.

Photo Jay Austin

It is believed the fire was close to a gas outlet. People were advised to stay clear of the area while the incident was being dealt with.

Photo Jay Austin

Power has also gone out at a small number of properties. UK Power Networks said: “A fault occurred on a piece of our electrical equipment.”

 

 

 

 

 

Photo Tony Ovenden

Engineers are at th scene and power is due to be restored between 3.30pm and 4.30pm.

Photo Jo Hanchett

Smoke affected adjacent properties and it is believed two people were treated for smoke inhalation.

Photo Tony Ovenden

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to the High Street, Ramsgate, to reports of thick black smoke issuing from the ground.

Photo Mark Stanford

“Crews remained in attendance until the arrival of UK Power who isolated the power.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.