A family in Cliftonville remains without gas after their outside meter was deliberately set alight.
Rhys Hopkin Evans, 24, pregnant partner Coral Redgate, 25, and their two-year-old daughter have been without hot water or heating since the fire in Arthur Road on October 3.
Families had to leave their flats while fire crews and a gas engineer dealt with the incident. The meter was completely destroyed.
The box needs replacing but Rhys says Swale Heating can’t carry out the work until given the go ahead by landlord Town and Country and even then there needs to be a go-ahead from police, because the incident is suspected arson, and a date set with contractors and engineers.
Rhys said: “Swale Heating can’t allow the box to be changed until Town and County approve the go ahead but that will take at least five days just for approval.
“The contractors have to speak to the police for confirmation and have also said once given the go ahead they need to get at four way meeting between Utilita, Swale Heating, SGN and themselves.
“So, we have no heating and no hot water. They give us the two smallest heaters in the world that are actually blowing cold air but that’s it.
“You can only call anyone out for emergencies, like smelling gas, but not putting it back on after someone tries killing you.”
Rhys says because of the arson Coral is now frightened of being in the flat on her own.
Kent Police confirmed officers are investigating a report of arson.
A spokesman said: “The fire is reported to have taken place between 9pm and 9.30pm and damaged an external gas meter in an alleyway in Arthur Road.
“Anyone with information concerning the fire or who saw anything suspicious in the area at the time of incident is asked to call Kent Police on 01843 222289 quoting ZY/59071/18.”
The family say they have been told the meter may not be replaced until next week.
Town and Country has been contacted for comment.