Families evacuated due to gas meter arson outside Cliftonville flats

The fire service was called to Arthur Road

Families were evacuated from flats in Cliftonville last night (October 3) due to an external gas meter fire which is thought to have been started deliberately.

Fire crews were sent to the fire outside flats in Arthur Road at 9.24pm. Crews used a hose reel jet to keep the area around the fire cool and prevent it spreading, until the gas supply was isolated and the area made safe by a gas engineer.

Families had to leave their homes while fire crews and a gas engineer dealt with the incident.

Pregnant Coral Redgate, her two-year-old daughter and partner Rhys Hopkin Evans were among those evacuated.

Coral said: “Everyone in the building was evacuated. Our poor two year old was in nothing more than a nappy and a blanket

“Our gas meter is completely destroyed and we’re now without supply until my gas company come and replace it.

“It’s a good job we have an electric cooker otherwise we’d be having no dinner until the gas is sorted.”

Fire crews left the incident at 9.46pm.

Kent Police also attended. A Kent Police spokesman said: “Kent Police is investigating a report of arson in Margate.

“The fire is reported to have taken place between 9pm and 9.30pm and damaged an external gas meter in an alleyway in Arthur Road.

“Anyone with information concerning the fire or who saw anything suspicious in the area at the time of incident is asked to call Kent Police on 01843 222289 quoting ZY/59071/18.”