Walking football tournament organiser suffers burns to legs in Ramsgate house fire

Fire crews at the scene Photo Jemma Willson

A man suffered burns to his legs in a kitchen fire in Ramsgate last night (September 9).

Fire crews and paramedics were called to a home in Ashburnham Road at around 8pm after a grill caught light at the property and 53-year-old householder Alan Austin was scalded by hot fat on the rear of his legs.

Part of the road was blocked while services dealt with the incident.

Photo Cemanthe Mckenzie Hoult

Former admin worker Alan (pictured) said: “I got covered in burning fat. They (firefighters) hosed me down in the back garden with cold water for half an hour.”

Dressings were applied and Alan, who organises the annual walking football contest in memory of Ramsgate fireman Dave Bambridge, will not know the extent of the burns until these are changed on Tuesday.

Alan said he is ok ‘but still in shock.’ He added: “The firefighters were brilliant and tried to keep me clam.”

The kitchen suffered some damage in the fire.