Minnis Bay beach huts destroyed in fire

Fire crews battling the blaze at the huts Photo William Wraith

Emergency crews were called to beach huts on fire at Minnis Bay during the early hours of this morning (August 13).

Kent Fire and Rescue says five huts were destroyed and another damaged in the blaze which was reported at 00.40am.

Four of the destroyed huts are believed to be numbers 17 through to 20.

Two fire engines attended the incident in The Parade and crews used a main jet to extinguish the flames. The fire is believed to have started accidentally as a result of a cooker being left on inside one of the beach huts.

Crews had made the scene safe by 1.30am.

Firefighters are urging people to double check hobs/ovens are turned off after cooking. Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety, said: “Whether cooking at home in the kitchen, having a barbecue in the garden, using a portable stove while camping or cooking in a beach hut – it’s so important to check, and check again, that you’ve turned cooking appliances off once you’re finished. By doing these quick checks, you can make sure you have an enjoyable and fire safe mealtime.”

It is the second time huts have been severely damaged at Minnis Bay this year. In April 20 huts suffered roof and structure damage after being battered by storms.