Broadstairs Cricket Club: A tale of two victories and a defeat

A win for Broadstairs U15s

Broadstairs U15s

Broadstairs U15s completed an emphatic victory over Sussex champions St James Montefiore to progress to the last 16 of the ECB National Club Competition. Winning the toss and batting first in front of a sizeable and lively crowd at Park Avenue, Broadstairs got off to a shaky start with both Archie Ralph-Harding and Harry Carter removed for zero within the first 4 overs.

When George Kidd joined Nathan Fox at the crease, it would be down to these two to steady the ship and build a defendable total. This they duly did with an exhibition of controlled run-scoring under pressure; the pair put on 48 runs before Fox (38) was dismissed in the 12th over and the score on 64-3. A couple of quick run-outs led to the early departures of Tom Marshall (2) and Callum French (0) and the hosts were on the back foot again and the situation deepened further when Joe McCaffrey (3) was adjudged LBW.

However, Kidd (pictured) continued to bat with composure and when he retired having reached his 50, Reginold Baskaran (13) took up the reins with some expansive hitting, ably supported by Jack Cave (6) and Thomas Izzard (2). Izzard was bowled with the last ball of the match leaving Matthew Marson on 0* and the total at 125, probably 25 runs short of what Broadstairs might have hoped for at the start.

The Seasiders knew that if they were to defend this sub-par total, they would have to bowl economically and take early wickets. The opening partnership of Ralph-Harding and Fox did not disappoint with Ralph-Harding (3-8) being particuarly effective with the new ball. By the end of their combined 8 over spell, St James Montefiore found themselves at 30-4 and with a mountain to climb. The spin combination of  McCaffrey and Kidd then took over and the required run rate started to climb.

Wicket for Archie Ralph-Harding, caught by Tom Marshall

The introduction of Carter’s pace led to 3 quick wickets and the innings was completed when McCaffrey took the final 2 wickets with successive balls. He finished with figures of 2-9 off 2.2 overs and Carter with figures of 3-9 off 3 overs, completing an impressive all-round team performance.

The team travel to Horsham for the London and South Regional Finals on Monday, July 30 where they will meet Suffolk champions Copdock and OI CC for a place in the last 8 round which will take place later on the same day.

Defeat for Broadstairs 1st XI

Broadstairs 1st XI’s mid-season stutter continued as they were soundly beaten away to 3rd place Hayes. Having lost the toss and invited to field, Broadstairs endured a hot an energy-sapping afternoon and struggled to contain the strong batting line-up of Beau Couldrey (33), Finnan Bryan (67) and Joel Couldrey (59). Grant Sheen was removed with the score on 20, caught by Jamie Dewell off the bowling of Elliot Fox but this early breakthrough was not followed up until the 19th over when Matthew Frewin bowled Beau Couldrey.

Hayes then made steady progress with a series of wickets by  Dewell (2-41) and Chris Kidd (3-51) containing the scoring. At 156-6, it looked like Broadstairs might limit the hosts to below 200, however a 7th wicket partnership of 55 between Joel Couldrey and Tomas Gallagher put paid to that. Furtehr damage was inflicted by the 8th wicket partnership of Gallagher and Simon Routh and eventually, Hayes finished on 264-9 with the remaining wickets being claimed by Swaroop Dasari and Jack Wheeler with a run out.

Broadstairs’ reply faltered at the first hurdle when opener Fox was trapped  LBW by Stuart Eddicott for 2. Fellow opener Harry Carter provided a sprightly 17 off 20 balls before being caight off the bowling of Eddicott who would finish with figures of 4-21. Of the remaining batsmen, only 4 reached double figures; Masoud Rangin (27), Dasari (26), Jamie Dewell (23) and Matthew Frewin (13) and the visitors finished all out for 139, 125 runs short of the target.

Despite the defeat, Broadstairs remain in 2nd place in Division 2 with their fate still firmly in their hands. To secure promotion, they will need to reproduce their early season over the series of 6 remaining matches which begins with a home fixture against 2nd-from-bottom Whitstable.

2nd XI Broadstairs team win

Broadstairs were back to winning ways this week with a comprehensive 48 run victory against high flying St Lawrence & Highland court.

On yet another extremely hot and humid day, Andy Marshall won the toss and chose to bat. Lee Hewitt (60) and Nathan Fox (8) got us off to a good start, Lee finding early boundaries but in the eighth over Natty edged behind. Lewis Hewitt (25) came in to join his dad and after being dropped first ball he took the attack to the opposition. Thunderous blows all around the park, 22 of his runs came in boundaries but he then got beaten on the drive and his typical gung ho innings had come to an end.

Archie (65) was next in and with Lee helped push the score along, a mix of boundaries and singles kept us ticking over. The outfield was extremely quick due to the recent weather and both batsmen were making good use of it, at the halfway stage we were 135-2. Lee brought up a superb half century on a day when so many players from past and present were at the club and there to applaud. He was bowled in the 27th over but his job had been done, the foundations had been laid, now was time for fresh legs to keep us going!

Luke (16) was next in and hit a couple of boundaries including one of his trademark sweeps for six but he nicked behind shortly after, James (9) was LBW, Andy (3) edged behind and when Joe Mccaffrey making his second team debut was run out for 1 we had gone from 146-3 to 205-8 with 10 overs still remaining. Knowing how much not batting the overs had cost us last week against Bickley Park, Oli Frewin (26*) and Bradley Ellison (27) consolidated and saw the spinners off whilst picking up the singles with the odd boundary thrown in for good measure.

St Lawrence tails were up and were looking at chasing a total of 210, but the 2 batsmen made the fielding team stay out in the searing heat! Brad eventually fell to the last ball of the innings but we had amassed 263 and the 9th wicket partnership had produced a decent 58 runs of the last 10.

After a tremendous tea (the honey and mustard sausages were a massive hit)! Archie and Brad opened the bowling, we knew the batting line up was strong and we’d have to be at our best and we got off to a flying start courtesy of a run out. Saints skipper Lewis Jenkins hitting the ball straight to Natty and setting off, Natty threw the ball into Lee who whipped the bails of and we had our first wicket.

The other opener Paul Reynolds was trying to attack hitting over the top putting us on the back foot. It wasn’t until the 14th over when we got our second wicket, Reynolds trying one hit too many and Lewis Hewitt taking a very good catch at deep mid off (49-2) . After 2 very rusty overs from Luke Palmer he then took the next wicket, Turrell finding Archie and the Brad with the penultimate ball of his spell had the number 3 LBW we had them 69-4.

Oli was on and struck in his fourth over, bowling Shaw (90-5) and Joe also picked up his first wicket, bowling Sims (124-6). But then the drama unfolded, Joe forced Fowle into a false shot and it fell to Oli who was unable to cling onto the catch, Fowle the proceeded to continue his attack, 6,6,4 and all of a sudden the was a sense of panic. Oli picked up a second wicket with a nice stumping from Lee (153-7) but Fowle was still finding boundaries.

St Lawrence had moved onto 191 in the 44th over when the champagne moment of the match happened. Ashley into the attack and Fowle took on Lewis, hitting the ball straight and high, Lewis ran around but always looked like he would just be out of reach, with the ball inches from the ground, Lewis threw himself forward, getting his hands underneath and keeping hold of the ball. A truly amazing catch and made even more better with the packed clubhouse watching, cheering and applauding.

Tray picked up a second with another stumping for Lee and Natty brought the innings to a close when he found a top edge and Lee ran round to take the catch 215 all out and a well deserved win. We played exceptionally well with some great individual performances. This win put us 5th, 15 points from top but destiny is in our hands, with home games against close rivals, Old Wilsonians and Bexleyheath to come and the away games against the bottom 3 we just have to keep on winning.

Next week we travel to HSBC who are fighting for their lives to stay up, a game we should win but we need to stay focused and not underestimate them.

Man of the match was a tough decision, but as it was his day, he also produced a cracking tea, set us up with a great 60, took 2 stumpings and a catch (and a no ball for gloves in front of the stumps) Lee Hewitt takes the honours.