Crews called to chip pan fire at Trove Court

Trove Court and Kennedy House are among those that will receive works

Fire crews were called to a chip pan fire in a flat at Trove Court in Ramsgate in the early hours of this morning (April 26).

Crews were called to the tower block in Newcastle Hill at 2.02am.

The resident discovered the fire and closed the door, reducing the oxygen. The fire had burnt itself out when the crews arrived, however they still dealt with the chip pan and ventilated the flat from fumes and smoke.

Crews also used a thermal image camera to check for radiated heat spots in the walls. The kitchen suffered significant heat damage. The cause was accidental.

Red Cross volunteers were also called to the scene to offer the occupants emotional and welfare support.

KFRS Group Manager for Community Safety Leanne McMahon said: “More than half of the house fires we’re called to begin in the kitchen and cooking is one of the biggest causes of kitchen fires. Leaving cooking unattended for just a short time can lead to disastrous results such as oil overheating and catching fire.

“Always make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your home, we recommend one on each floor of your home and that you test them weekly.”