Emergency crews rescue woman from Margate house fire

Kent Fire and Rescue Service Stock image

A woman in her 60s was rescued from a house fire in Margate during the early hours of yesterday morning (December 3).

Emergency crews were called to a kitchen fire in Buckingham Road at 3.05am. Two fire engines attended and were supported at the scene by Kent Fire and Rescue Service’s volunteer response team.

Crews were delayed getting to the incident due to parked vehicles in the road but went on foot to the terraced property to find that the woman was still inside the property.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus carried out a snatch rescue and gave oxygen to the woman and her son before handing them into the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service. The pair were checked over at the scene but were not taken to hospital.

Crews used a high pressure hose reel, main jet, positive pressure ventilation fan and thermal imaging cameras to tackle the blaze, which destroyed the living room and caused 20 per cent damage to the kitchen.

The fire is believed to have started in a toaster but had spread to the soft furnishings in the property.