The lease for Ramsgate’s boating pool and buildings is on the market.
The Grade II listed, commercial property in Royal Esplanade is split into two halves, with one side being run as a licensed restaurant/cafe, with a separate room for slot machines and amusements. The other half is currently set up as a bar, with an additional large room. Between the two buildings is the boating pool.
There is a children’s outdoor play area and go kart track.
The boating pool was originally a bandstand which, with the tea pavilion, was constructed as part of the St Lawrence Estate Scheme.
It was designed by Basil Deacon Architect and constructed by building contractors W.W.Martin of Dane Park Road, Ramsgate. The tea pavilions and bandstand were opened in August 1929.
Designed in the “general style of the Italian Renaissance” the site consists of two narrow single storey radial pavilions facing east and west, their front elevation facing the former circular bandstand and stepped terracing (now a boating pool).
The whole development was Listed Grade II in 1988.
The pavilions were constructed in rendered brick on concrete foundations. Design features include a dentil cornice below the parapet and substantial Tuscan columns.
The bandstand was entirely constructed of re-enforced concrete complete with columns and cupola, surrounded by stepped terracing to accommodate 2,000 people. The bandstand was demolished in 1961 and the stepped terracing flooded to create the boating pool.
Thanet council holds the freehold to the site. The lease is being offered at £350,000 with an annual rent of approximately £10,500.
It is being marketed by Miles & Barr. Call 01843-570500 to find out more.