Emergency services rescue two men from water at Walpole Bay

The search at Walpole Photo Santa Belo

Two men were rescued from Walpole Bay last night (May 27).

Emergency services were called at 9.38 to a report of people in the water near the Walpole Bay Hotel.

Firefighters rescued two men from the water and they were taken to shore by the RNLI lifeboat that was in attendance.

Margate’s RNLI inshore lifeboat was tasked and joined other emergency services, including the coastguard rescue helicopter from Lydd Airport, coastguard rescue teams from Margate and Herne Bay, Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS), South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAMS) and Kent Police.

The lifeboat made contact with members of KFRS who had found two male fishermen who were in difficulties in the water at the end of the rocks. The casualties were taken on board the lifeboat and quickly transferred back to the lifeboat launching site where they were met by lifeboat crew and handed into the care of paramedics from SECAMB.

There was some confusion around the number of potential casualties involved and the search was stepped-up including the launching of Margate’s RNLI all-weather lifeboat. Shortly after it was established there were in fact only two people involved and the search units were stood down.

Peter Barker, Margate lifeboat volunteer press officer, said: “It was suggested these two persons may have been ‘crabbing’ on the edge of the rocks in the dark. The rocks on Thanet’s coastline include deep gullies which can be treacherous and difficult to see when wading through shallow water, especially in the dark.

“We urge people to avoid venturing too far out to sea on the rocks and then only when wearing a suitable lifejacket and carrying means of attracting attention.”

A Kent Police spokesman said: “Kent Police was called by SECAMB at 9.47pm on Saturday 27 May to a report of a concern for welfare of a person in the water in Walpole Bay, Margate.

“Officers attended along with Kent Fire and Rescue Service and the Kent Coastguard and two people were rescued from the water and taken to hospital as a precaution. No serious injuries were reported.”

Crews finished at the scene at 11.30pm.