After 40 years of serving the people of Ramsgate, solicitor, John Searles has decided to retire.
Having been with Thorn Drury & Searles since 1977 and with retirement beckoning John decided to merge with Kent based firm County Solicitors towards the end of last year.
Following a successful transition, John is happy to retire, safe in the knowledge his clients will be well looked after for the next 40 years.
After gaining a Bachelor of Law Degree at Hull University in 1973, John underwent training -then called articles of clerkship – in West London suburban firms. He was admitted a solicitor in October 1976, joining the late Mr F. Church in the firm in Chapel Place Ramsgate in September 1977.
He became a partner in 1981 and had been sole principal since 1983 moving to 76 High Street in 1998 from other premises in Queen Street Ramsgate.
During a period that has seen the rise and fall of the fax machine, and the stratospheric growth in the use of the internet, John has seen much change. He began his career working with someone who could remember doing conveyancing before the Law of Property Act 1925 came into force and he recalls the days when completions involved taking a bank draft in person to the offices of the sellers’ solicitors.
He would now like to thank all past and present clients of the firm.
Thorn, Drury & Searles, which was originally called Thorn Drury Church & Co, was established in Ramsgate by the late Mr Thorn Drury in 1902. It is succeeded by County Solicitors, which itself, up until recently, was known as Fosters Law.
Thorn Drury & Searles will continue to provide friendly and accessible legal services to local businesses and individuals.