Brave neighbours rescue woman from flat fire in Ramsgate

Kent Fire and Rescue Service Stock image

A woman has been rescued by her neighbours from a house fire in Ramsgate.

Fire crews were called to the kitchen blaze in a ground floor flat in Colombo Square at 11.46pm yesterday (February 6).

Before crews arrived a dramatic rescue had unfolded where around four neighbours entered the property to saved a woman in her 30s who had fallen asleep with a pan on the hob. The pan had caught alight and the house was filled with smoke.

When crews arrived the woman and her neighbours were outside the property and the fire was out, but the woman needed oxygen as she was suffering from smoke inhalation, as was one of her neighbours, another woman.

Both were treated at the scene by firefighters and then placed in the care of paramedics. Crews cleared the property of smoke using a large fan.
Firefighters have praised the quick-thinking actions of the neighbours for saving the woman’s life.

However they reaffirmed the dangers of leaving cooking unattended. Over half of domestic fires that KFRS attends start in the kitchen. Kitchen distractions can and do lead to fires. Keep looking while you’re cooking. If anyone needs safety advice please call the KFRS Home Safety team on 0800 923 7000 – you may even be eligible for a free safe and well visit. 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*