Crews called to Manston house fire started by chip pan blaze


Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a house in Manston last night (April 16) after oil in a chip pan overheated and caught alight.

Two fire engines were sent to the home in Tollemache Close at 7.42pm, where crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.

One person was checked over by SECAmb paramedics after inhaling smoke.

Before leaving the property, the homeowner managed to close the internal door to the kitchen, which helped to stop the fire from spreading to other parts of the house.

Firefighters always advise closing internal doors before going out or going to sleep, as a standard closed internal door can hold a fire back for between 10 and 30 minutes – giving residents more time to escape safely and it helps to keep exit routes clear of smoke.

It’s particularly important to close doors leading into the kitchen, as that’s where fires are most likely to start.

Crews finished at the scene at 8.35pm.