Margate bedroom fire thought to have been caused by hot hairdryer on clothes


A bedroom fire in Margate last night (November 13) is believed to have started accidentally after a hairdryer was left on a bed while it was still hot and caused a pile of clothes to catch alight.

Two fire engines were sent to the flat in Zion Place at 11.20pm, where crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the small fire with hose reel jets.

Firefighters used a smoke curtain to stop the flames from spreading and cleared the property of smoke with a high-pressured fan.

One person was passed into the care of SECAmb paramedics as a precaution after inhaling smoke.

Fire crews finished at the scene at 11.48pm.