700 people transferred to Manston processing centre following petrol bomb attack at Dover site

Manston processing centre Photo @Hunter19962

Around 700 people who crossed the Channel in small boats and were at the Dover Tug Haven asylum site when petrol bombs were thrown at it today (October 30) have been transferred to Manston processing centre.

Kent Police officers were called at 11.22am to the Home Office immigration premises at The Viaduct in Dover after the attack by a lone man in a white SEAT sports vehicle who then took his life at a nearby petrol station.

A Kent Police spokesperson said: “Officers established that two to three incendiary devices had been thrown outside and into the premises by a single suspect who arrived at the scene in a car.

“Two people have reported minor injuries from inside the property. The suspect was identified, and very quickly located at a nearby petrol station, and confirmed deceased.

“The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit attended the location to ensure there were no further threats. A further device was found and confirmed safe within the suspect’s vehicle.

“The site remained open, however around 700 suspected migrants were relocated to Manston to ensure safety during the initial phase of the police investigation.”

Enquiries into the incident remain ongoing by Kent detectives.

The Manston site is already over its intended capacity of 1,000 people with a reported 2,600 at the premises this week and now sources report that number is close to 4000.


The Isle of Thanet News reported earlier this week on concerns raised by the Prison Officers Association (POA) which says there is a ‘humanitarian crisis’ at the Manston asylum seekers processing site with infection outbreaks, people sleeping on carboard instead of mattresses inside marquees, tensions rising and more than double the number of people detained for far longer than the mandated 24 hours.

Talking on a podcast POA Assistant General Secretary Andy Baxter says the original site was intended to provide short term facilities – 24 to 48 hours – for processing people who would then be moved to immigration removal centres or bailed into the community.

But people are now facing significantly longer periods in the centre due to the high numbers making small boat crossings. The site originally had four marquees and around 150 people per marquee were provided with roll out mattresses and bedding.

However, Mr Baxter says that during a two-day POA visit to the site they saw this has now been expanded to 22 marquees and people in those tents are sleeping on cardboard with a blanket on top of them.

Amongst the issues he highlighted were reported outbreaks of diphtheria, scabies and norovirus. The Home Affairs Committee also heard this week of families who had been at the centre for a month.

Minister for Immigration Robert Jenrick has today (October 30) visited the Manston site in light of the many concerns that have been raised.

POA union assistant general secretary brands Manston asylum processing centre “A humanitarian crisis on British soil”

Diphtheria outbreak confirmed at troubled Manston processing centre