Six fire engines and a height vehicle attended a fire at the old gas works site in Ramsgate’s Boundary Road today (July 29).
Emergency services were called to the scene at 4.07pm. The site is being developed by Thanet-based Blueberry Development Estates to create 58 flats in three new build blocks and 15 in a conversion of the listed gas works office.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Kent Fire and Rescue Service is responding to a fire in a derelict building in Boundary Road, Ramsgate.
“Six fire engines and a height vehicle have been sent to the scene, and crews wearing breathing apparatus are using hose reel jets, main jets, and water from a hydrant to put the fire out. Kent Police is also in attendance.
“There are no reported injuries.”
People living around the area close to Boundary Road were asked to close windows and doors due to the large amount of smoke in the area.
Motorists were advised to take alternative routes due to the incident and road closures around the emergency response.
A Kent Police spokesperson added: “Kent Police was called by Kent Fire and Rescue Service at 4.30pm to a fire at a building in Boundary Road, Ramsgate. Officers attended the scene and closed a road near the premises, while fire crews extinguished the blaze.”
Fire crews finished at the scene at 6.44pm.
The gasworks were built in 1824 and had six gasholders. Originally it was on the other side of Boundary Road, then operated on both sides before being completely moved to the site were the red brick office and clock still stands.
It was taken on by the Local Board in 1877. The local Board and later Ramsgate Corporation ran the site until 1949.
On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking became part of the Thanet Group of the Kent County Division of SEGB. Gas manufacture ceased at Ramsgate works in 1958 and the site became a holder station.
The offices, railed area, depot, adjoining walls and gate for the gasworks in Boundary Road are grade II listed.
During World War One, in November 1917, two bombs hit the gas works, falling between the gas holders and the rear of the office.
The site was bombed again during World War Two, in August 1940, when eight members of staff were lucky enough to survive after taking refuge in an Anderson shelter at the rear of the offices.