Crews called to Broadstairs outbuilding fire


Fire crews were called to a fire in an outbuilding in Afghan Road in Broadstairs this morning (August 27).

Two fire engines were sent to the scene at 5.30am and crews used hose reel jets to extinguish the fire and dampen down hot spots. A PPV fan was also used to clear smoke from the property. No casualties were reported and fire is believed to have started accidentally from a cigarette.

Following the incident, crews are reminding the public to take extra care with smoking materials. If you need to lie down, don’t light up – you could easily fall asleep and set your bed or sofa on fire. You should also never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended, and when you put it out, make sure it is fully out.