The Aldi store in Ramsgate could relocate to the former gas works site in Boundary Road.
The store has traded from its current site opposite the gas works for the last 20 years but bosses say a move would mean the chance to increase the size of the shop and provide more parking spaces.
Currently the store has 1,20acres and wants that to increase to 1.70 acres. Parking spaces would go up from 70 to 118.
Aldi is asking for customer views on the proposal before submitting a planning application to Thanet council for the proposals.
Residents can give their views by emailing aldiRamsgate@planningpotential.co.uk or calling 020 7357 8000.
The gasworks were built in 1824 and had six gasholders. Originally it was on the other side of Boundary Road, where Aldi now is, then operated on both sides before being completely moved to the site were the red brick office and clock still stands.
It was taken on by the Local Board in 1877.The local Board and later Ramsgate Corporation ran the site until 1949.
On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking became part of the Thanet Group of the Kent County Division of SEGB. Gas manufacture ceased at Ramsgate works in 1958 and the site became a holder station.
The offices, railed area, depot, adjoining walls and gate for the gasworks in Boundary Road are grade II listed.
During World War One, in November 1917, two bombs hit the gas works, falling between the gas holders and the rear of the office.
The site was bombed again during World War Two, in August 1940, when eight members of staff were lucky enough to survive after taking refuge in an Anderson shelter at the rear of the offices.
In 2007 and application was made to create 96 homes on the site. Some decontamination work took place but then stopped.
Demolition and remediation works then took place in 2010 but the site remained undeveloped.
It is listed in Thanet’s Draft Local Plan – outlining development plans up until 2031 -for the 96 homes.