Fire crews called to Cliftonville flats


Emergency crews were called to fire at a Cliftonville block of flats today (June 24).

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of smoke coming from a four-storey block of flats in Harold Road at 1.50pm.

Firefighters discovered a fire on the landing area of the fourth floor and, wearing breathing apparatus, they used a hose reel jet and water from a hydrant to put the fire out. Crews fitted smoke alarms in communal areas of the property. There were no reported injuries and the fire is believed to be accidental and caused by a discarded cigarette.