10-man Gate team draw against Worthing

Jordan Chiedozie of Margate (blue) takes on Worthing players Photo Phil Bay

Full Time: Margate 1 Worthing 1

A battle between 10 man Margate and Worthing FC resulted in honours at Hartsdown Park yesterday (March 31).

Margate Manager Steve Watt was forced into a late change when goalkeeper Lenny Pidgeley had to withdraw during the warm-up due to illness. Gate youngster Patrick Lee stepped up into the starting eleven.

Jordan Chiedozie returned to the Margate team following his two match suspension, whilst Lee Prescott started in midfield. George Essuman partnered Liam Friend in defence with centre-back Ben Swift still out injured with a hamstring strain.

Photo Phil Bay

The hosts started the game strongly with striker Frannie Collin producing a lovely free kick delivery that whistled just wide. Jordan Chiedozie came close to following up the effort but his strike was blocked.

Chiedozie looked dangerous moments later, steaming through the Worthing defence but couldn’t quite get his footing to get a shot on target.

Photo Phil Bay

Margate took the lead with Tom Mills finding the head of Collin who smartly directed the ball into the path of Chiedozie. The Blues’ leading goal scorer made no mistake with the finish. Only to be denied by the linesman’s flag.

Margate were reduced to 10 men before the break, after a colliding tackle between Mills and Joel Colbran led to the influential left-back being dismissed from the field of play.

Photo Phil Bay

Worthing turned up the heat in the second period, utilising their extra player to enjoy plenty of possession in the Margate half.

Steve Watt’s side showed grit and organisation, denying their opponents the chance to go ahead whilst effectively soaking pressure and looking to hit on the counter.

Photo Phil Bay

It proved effective when The Gate took the lead after some great work from Dave Martin down the left hand side presented Chiedozie with the opportunity to slot home within the six-yard box.

Photo Phil Bay

Worthing searched for an equaliser as they continued to enjoy considerable passages of play. In the end, it was a set piece which proved the only way to break down a solid defensive line.

Photo Phil Bay

Joseph Clarke rising highest to put the ball past the outstretched palm of Lee. The goal was enough to secure a point for both teams.

Margate’s attention now turns to Monday’s short trip to Folkestone Invicta.

Report Charlotte Richardson

1 Comment

Comments are closed.