Crews called to Birchington fire

Image KFRS

Fire crews were called to a Birchington property last night (February 18) after a halogen heater caught fire.

The crew was alerted via an automatic careline alarm to the fire at Hunting Gate, Birchington at 9.44pm.

The elderly residents were initially alerted to the fire after hearing a popping noise coming from the bedroom.

They discovered the heater was alight and flames had starting to spread to the carpet.They quickly turned the heater off and got out of the property.

When firefighters arrived the fire had burnt out – thanks to the quick actions of the residents. Crews checked the property, made it safe and removed the heater. The residents had symptoms of slight smoke inhalation.