Teenager who left stab victim fighting for life at The Broadway garage is jailed

Jailed: Jake Walsh

A teenager who stabbed a man and left him bleeding and fighting for his life in a service station has  been jailed for eight-years.

Jake Walsh, 19, of Upton Road in Broadstairs, was charged following the incident where a man in his 20s was left with serious injuries on Saturday 12 November 2016 near to The Broadway.

The court heard how the victim staggered into the petrol station during the early hours of the morning and told staff he had been stabbed.

The emergency services were called and a member of the public carried out first aid on the injured man, who had multiple chest wounds.

Life threatening

A Kent Police medic took over and continued first aid until paramedics from the South East Coast Ambulance arrived. They described the injuries as life threatening and he was taken to hospital.

Officers believed the stabbing had taken place in the area of St Peter’s Park Road and were on their way there when they saw two men who looked suspicious nearby. Police turned the vehicle around to speak to them and the men ran away when they saw the officers heading in their direction.

The suspects ran along Bairds Hill and then into an alleyway that leads to Bradstow Way. Officers jumped out the car and chased them on foot where they caught them and arrested them in the alley.


Following interviews and CCTV enquiries Walsh was identified as the person responsible for the attack and was charged.

He admitted wounding with intent and possessing an offensive weapon and was sentenced at Canterbury Crown Court on Thursday (21 December) where he received eight years in total.

Investigating officer DC Leah Roberts said: “This nasty attack left a man with stab wounds in his chest, arm and back and he suffered a punctured lung and damage to his kidney.

“This was extremely serious, if he hadn’t made it into the garage and got help from members of the public he could have been left on the street fighting for his life.

“There is absolutely no excuse to inflict injuries like this on others. Kent Police won’t tolerate violence and will make every effort in every investigation to insure those responsible are sent to prison.”


  1. Well done to the public who helped him and the officers who caught those responsible, and the court for the conviction. A good result all round. I hope the victim is now on the road to a full recovery.
    Great report this.

Comments are closed.