An application by Minster McDonalds to have 24-hour opening at its restaurant has been granted despite numerous objections.
The Tothill fast-food site already has a 24-hour drive through but currently the restaurant is closed between 11pm and 5am.
Bosses at the business want 24/7 opening of the whole site.
A flood of objections were sent to Thanet council raising concerns over antisocial behaviour, littering, noise and even more traffic at the top of the village.
Burgers through the letterbox
One Tothill Street resident revealed they had suffered abuse, people urinating in their drive and shoving burgers through their letterbox, smashed wing mirrors, rubbish in the garden and food and drink thrown on their vehicles and property.
Another said youths urinating and shouting outside their property often woke up their young children.
Minster Parish Council has also objected, saying it has already had to meet with police due to the volume of antisocial behaviour from those using the drive through.
Kent Police did not support the application.
But members of Thanet council’s licensing committee gave the application approval on August 8 as long as a string of conditions are abided by.
- CCTV installed, working and recording with a 30 day record function and copies to be made to Police or Local Authority upon request.
- At all times there will be one member of staff on duty who can operate and download any requested CCTV.
- WIFI – between the hours of 2300 and 0500 hours the WIFI will be turned off.
- Any group of 3 or more people between 2300 and 0500 hours will only be permitted 30 minutes within the premises.
- Staff to ensure the car park is monitored and walked for clearing discarded rubbish once every hour, between 2300 and 0500 hours.
- Signage to express respect for neighbours and village.
- Two Body Worn Videos to be made available. One to be positioned at the drive through window and one behind the counter. To be used when dealing with unwelcomed behaviour.
- No alcohol allowed on any part of the McDonalds site, inside and outside at any time.
- The receipt of all sales between 2300 and 0500 hours to be placed inside of the bag. Any discarded receipts found, the premises will fully support in identifying the offending person / vehicle via CCTV.
The sub-committee said that as there were concerns regarding nuisance, if there were incidents in future the licence could be reviewed.