Fire service issues bonfire warning after man suffers 25% burns to arms and legs


Kent Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning about bonfires after being called out to an incident where a man suffered burns to his arms and legs.

Crews were called to Gore Lane in Eastry near Sandwich, at 1.45pm today (June 17).

They found the man in his 20s with around 25% burns to his arms and legs. The man is thought to have suffered the injuries after attempting to start a bonfire using flammable liquids.

The bonfire was out on arrival, but crews put it out fully using a main jet. Crews treated the man with oxygen therapy, first aid, and cooled his burns using water, before he was handed over to the air ambulance and flown to a local hospital for further treatment.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging anyone thinking of having a bonfire to consider a safer, more environmentally friendly way to dispose of waste through the green waste collection or take it to your local recycling centre.

The service says if you do light a bonfire the advice is to take extra care and never use petrol, barbecue lighting fluids or other accelerants on them. Also, never leave any fire unattended and if the bonfire gets out of control, never try to tackle it yourself, always call the fire service.