Fire crews called to ‘smoke-filled’ Margate property

Kent Fire and Rescue Service Stock image

Fire crews were called to Margate last night (May 5) after a person came come to find smoke coming from the property.

Firefighters were called to Kingston Avenue shortly after 7pm.

Two fire engines attended and fire crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the smoke-filled housed, where they discovered the fire in a ground floor kitchen.

They extinguished it using a hose reel and cleared smoke from the property with a special fan.

The fire is believed to have started after a baby steriliser was  left on the hob.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service advise against storing items on top of cookers as accidents can easily happen. If there is no alternative, switch appliances off at the wall beforehand.