Killer of popular Carl Gregory jailed for minimum of 18 years

Jailed: John Dickson

The killer of 20-year-old Carl Gregory, from Ramsgate, has been sentenced to life with a minimum of 18 years in prison.

Carl was kicked and strangled during an altercation at Westwood Retail Park car park in Margate Road, shortly after 9.45pm on Tuesday 4 October 2016.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

John Dickson, 27, of Northdown Road, Cliftonville, was arrested and charged with Mr Gregory’s murder.

He denied the charge but was convicted yesterday (March 29) following a trial at Maidstone Crown Court.

The jury heard how Carl’s former girlfriend Chloe Lemare had fallen out with him over a social media post, and that she had asked another man, Christopher Pollard, to speak to him about it.

Christopher Pollard arranged to meet Carl at the shopping centre and took Dickson with him. A fight broke out, which led to Dickson becoming involved and placing Carl in a choke hold. The victim was also kicked while he was on the ground.

An ambulance was called after Carl body was discovered by workers who were leaving nearby shops, but he was declared dead at the scene. The cause of his death was later recorded as compression of the neck.

Dickson was arrested at his home address later the same evening.

Popular: Carl Gregory

Detective Sergeant Ross Gurden of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: “This was a tragic death of a popular young man who had his whole life in front of him.

“Carl Gregory is sorely missed by his family and friends due to the actions of John Dickson, who went out of his way to confront him. I hope today’s outcome is of comfort to all those who loved Carl.

“I hope this case reinforces the message that the use of violence to resolve issues can result in life changing consequences. Dickson is a young man who will now serve a considerable length of time behind bars as a result of a complete disregard of the consequences of his actions.”

Christopher Pollard, who was also charged with Mr Gregory’s murder, was found not guilty by the jury.