Maps, seaweed and shell search sheets and all you need for rock-pooling are just some of the things inside new Coastal Explorer Packs launched this week.
The packs are for families and individuals of all ages and provide the tools and information to help explore Thanet’s beaches, rich natural environments and historical heritage.
Coastal Explorer Packs contain:
A trail map showing where you can join in activities such as ‘art on the beach’, ‘seaweed and shell search’, ‘write a postcard’, ‘play hopscotch’ and learn about the weather and clouds.
- Historical photos
- Rock-pooling net
- Marine life identification sheets
- Lightweight waterproof backpack
Rob Kenyon, TDC Director of Community Services said: “The Thanet coast includes an amazing array of sandy beaches and its unique, chalk-based coastline contains some of the most dynamic land and seascapes in Britain.”
“Thanet’s award-winning beaches offer fantastic opportunities for visitors to explore the many assets of the fastest-growing tourism destination in the UK.”
The Coastal Explorer Packs are a result of the Coastal Communities funded Discover Thanet’s Coast and were produced by Thanet District Council’s tourism team, in with learning consultant Allan Randall of Heritage Now.
Mr Randall said:“We look forward to helping people, particularly families, out and about, on the beach and in the town, exploring, discovering, learning, having fun and finding that being a Coastal Explorer can be an exciting adventure, whatever your age.
“You can spend a few hours or a whole day exploring Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate.”
How to get your packs:
- The Coastal Explorer Packs will be available to hire for £5 from Friday, 26 May.
- Customers will be asked to leave proof of ID such as driving licence or passport as a deposit.
- Available from:
– Thanet Visitor Information Centre, Margate;
– Customs House, Ramsgate;
– Lillyputt Minigolf, Broadstairs.
- Two packs are included in the hire package for the Community Beach Huts, on Margate and Ramsgate Main Sands.
- Coastal Explorers are invited to share their experiences of the pack with @visitthanet on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using #coastalexplorers.
Further information on the Coastal Explorer packs can be found on www.visitthanet.co.uk/coastalexplorers