A 50m exclusion zone is in place in Westgate after possible unexploded bomb resurfaces

An exclusion zone is in place Photo Jemma Willson

A 50m cordon has been put in place at St Mildred’s Bay in Westgate after a possible unexploded wartime bomb resurfaced today (July 16).

The Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team was on-site this morning but left after a search failed to uncover the munition.

A call has now been made for them to return and the Coastguard has put up the cordon for public safety.

It is believed the incoming tide has currently covered the device.

Photo Jemma Willson

A Coastguard spokesman said: “It is believed to be a possible unexploded device within the tidal range. The MoD have been made aware and will be revisiting the area to carry out an investigation.

“A cordon has been put in place by the request of the EOD for public safety.

“We request that the public respect the cordon as it is there for their safety.”

The device was originally spotted and reported yesterday but the EOD team had been unable to locate it.

A witness at the scene said: “There’s currently a 50m exclusion zone which the coastguard said could be extended if the bomb disposal team  think it is necessary.

“The tide has come in and they’re waiting for it to go back  out before it can be looked at.”

A Kent Police spokesman said: “A 50m cordon has been put in place following the siting of the object again and will be in place until tomorrow morning when the bomb disposal team will return.”

UPDATE: Reporter at the scene says a plate-sized disc has been dug up and the cordon brought down. HM Coastguard says it appears to be a drain cover!

Report Kathy Bailes and Jemma Willson

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*